Friday, June 28, 2013

Hanging Up the Blogging Cleats or Whatever Footwear Bloggers Use

They say the Internet's written in ink, but the image links sure as hell aren't. Shit, I'm not going back and fixing all those.

Well it's been about a year and a half since I've posted anything on Isaac Bruce Springsteen, and even for me that's a long blog-hiatus. It wasn't particularly by accident. As I've progressed in my journalism career, it's felt less and less necessary for me to maintain my own personal blog, especially if it was going to be its own separate entity, like this was, and not a reflection or behind-the-scenes on other work I was doing for different publications. (Although I haven't done that either, as it seems a little masturbatory slash I am lazy.) It's not that I think I'm too good for blogging — although whether or not I should expect anyone to read anything on here is another question —it's just that it became obvious that whatever efforts I was putting into writing would be better served at whatever publication I was working on at the time than on a website ending in .blogspot.com. Although, no doubt, this format has also appeared more ameteur-ish to me as I've worked for more and more "real" publications.

So what the heck am I doing here, you ask? Okay, you didn't ask. I probably put the reason in the Facebook link, didn't I? Eh, whatever. I'm here because I'd like to give this blog its proper funeral, if you will. Whatever my current opinion of this site is, I can't deny the fact that I put a silly amount of work into this thing, and four years and two blog names later, this joint has been visited more than 11,000 times. That's just baffling to me, and I'm immensely grateful, even though I know half of those were me just wanting to make sure the masthead looked all right. Either way, it seemed a little wrong for me to just let it float into oblivion rather than give it a proper send-off. (Although, admittedly, ending my final post with a photo of Bruce and Clarence would be pretty apt.)

That's one reason, at least. The other is that I was reading this interview Pitchfork did with Surfer Blood (because of course I was) and I just struck me just how differently sports culture and music culture deal with this particular issue. I couldn't believe I was saying this, but this was just shouting for a good ol' Isaac Bruce Springsteen blog post. That, combined with my desires to give this URL its proper burial, made it pretty obvious what I needed to do. Also, two of my favorite blog subjects, LeBron and Kanye, became eminently newsworthy and, boom, I had a couple more blog-friendly pieces I wanted to write.

(The Surfer Blood piece, the first of my final three IBS posts, can be found here.)

So, long story short, Isaac Bruce Springsteen is going out swinging. For those who helped contribute to those 11,000 clicks, I'm sure none of you were too worried with where IBS had been all this time, but hey, maybe you'll be all like "oh yeah, I remember that dumb blog" and give it a few more clicks. For those of you who are just now discovering that I have this blog, I am immensely sorry. In order to prevent you from wanting to kill yourself too much via clicking through this morass, at the bottom are a few highlights that hopefully suck a little bit less than the rest.

Oh, and I finally updated my "favorite album" thingy on the right: Guys, my very favorite album of all time is "The Wild Hunt" by The Tallest Man on Earth. There you go. I also threw my Best of 2012 albums list (originally published exclusively on social media because I was in the middle of not giving a shit about this blog) on here for Future Me's sake, as I'm sure one day I'll want to know what I was listening to back then / how much time I was spending on Power Point.

And as for Present Me, it's nice to have you back. Thanks for the ride — it's kept me sane knowing that I wasn't writing these completely for myself. So here's one final music post, one final sports post and one final spusic-and-morts post, just to keep things even.

Your loving blogger,
Brandon Foster

Old Potentially Unsucky Posts



No comments:

Post a Comment